Support to Climate Change Vulnerability Risk Assessment, Adaptation and Mitigation
The aim of the project is to strengthen and coordinate the efforts to combat climate change and address its adverse effects. The project is funded by the Government of Italy and will be implemented over a period of 5 years starting from April 2017. The agreement between the Kingdom of Lesotho and Government of Italy was signed in Johannesburg, in October 2016.
The purpose of this project is to reduce the vulnerability of Basotho to the impacts of climate change, to adapt to the changing climate, as well as develop and promote the use of clean and efficient technologies in an effort to drive Lesotho towards a resilient and low carbon development path.
The project will focus on the following areas:
- Collection, analysis, and dissemination of meteorological data relevant to the observation of climate change and the measurement of its impact on the potentially vulnerable sectors of the country’s economy, such as agriculture, health, tourism etc.
- Support to the identification, implementation and communication of the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs)
- Address the drivers of deforestation and land degradation
- Reduction of deforestation and forest degradation, conservation of forest carbon stocks, sustainable management of forests and enhancement of forest carbon stocks
- Enhancement of capacities for the implementation of mechanisms under the UNFCCC and its related instruments
- Stimulation and dissemination of the economic and technological transformation towards low carbon development in ensuring energy security and creating adaptation actions and opportunities
- Promotion and development of the use of renewable energies, in order to achieve the target established by the Kingdom of Lesotho
- Development of public education and awareness campaigns on adaptation and mitigation to climate change
- Resources sharing, technical cooperation and information exchange with other global climate change initiatives
- Capacity building for monitoring, reporting on climate issues such as mitigation and adaptation
- Water treatment, sustainable water integrated management, river basis and hydro electrical system management.
- Waste management
The project will not only increase resilience of Basotho to climate change and improve their livelihoods, but it will also promote public-private partnership through development and promotion of clean technologies